I think I might change the title of this blog to “I work, I mom, I cook… I get sliced open” because lately that seems to be happening just as much. Since the last time I posted here…
- I got pregnant
- Had a baby boy via c-section
- Found out a month later that I had a benign brain tumor (my second!)
- Weaned my 6-week-old in a week
- Underwent brain surgery that lasted 14 hours
- Woke up from surgery and couldn’t move my left arm
- Spent two weeks in a rehabilitation hospital
- Had another operation in early November to figure out why my arm still doesn’t work
- Have double vision
My body is scarred and weary. My spirit is drained. I am physically and mentally worn out. But I’m still here, plugging away. I’m still here because, as a mom, what choice do I have? My kids’ lives go on; there is still laundry to do, dinners to be made, stories to be read, potting training, diapers, bottles… the list is endless.
This post is about pulled pork barbeque. If you thought it was about something else, I’m sorry to disappoint.
Posted in food, recipes
Tagged barbeque, charcoal, cooking, dinner, food, gril, grilling, pork, pulled pork, summer
They say necessity is the mother of invention… so is laziness. My husband and I were in the mood for mojitos but didn’t want to schlep to the store to get mint or white rum. We put together this cocktail with what we had on hand and it was pretty damn tasty. For the first time in my life, the desire to sit on my ass actually paid off!
Sometimes, no matter how hard you try or how hard you work, you end up cooking a crappy meal.
After our week of eating light and healthy, my husband and I both agreed we were still desperate for a cheeseburger. However, both of us lost 3 or so pounds, which I guess was a positive thing. We also agreed to continue on, believe it or not. But I had to swear we’d add some meat back into our diet.
There’s nothing to fucking eat in this house! I’m fucking starving! Who lives like this… ON PURPOSE?!
Posted in food
Well, one day down. I was going to write last night but I was so weak with hunger I couldn’t even turn on the damn computer, let alone type.
A few things I’ve learned over the past 24 hours:
- Eating close to nothing (read: proper amounts) makes you pee a LOT.
- Starving myself (read: not gorging myself) makes me very cranky.
- Carrots and hummus do not a dinner make — but it did fill me up, now that I think about it. (OK, I also had a quesadilla. One cannot live on veggies alone!)
- Fat doesn’t “melt away” overnight. (Grr!)
- If I don’t make dinner, I’m bored out of my mind by 8.
- Hunger pangs eventually subside.
- Going to bed without feeling like I’ve got a bowling bowl in my belly is actually quite pleasant.
So far, so good. I haven’t eaten my face yet. Or my child. Or killed my husband. It’s only been a day though.