I think I might change the title of this blog to “I work, I mom, I cook… I get sliced open” because lately that seems to be happening just as much. Since the last time I posted here…
- I got pregnant
- Had a baby boy via c-section
- Found out a month later that I had a benign brain tumor (my second!)
- Weaned my 6-week-old in a week
- Underwent brain surgery that lasted 14 hours
- Woke up from surgery and couldn’t move my left arm
- Spent two weeks in a rehabilitation hospital
- Had another operation in early November to figure out why my arm still doesn’t work
- Have double vision
My body is scarred and weary. My spirit is drained. I am physically and mentally worn out. But I’m still here, plugging away. I’m still here because, as a mom, what choice do I have? My kids’ lives go on; there is still laundry to do, dinners to be made, stories to be read, potting training, diapers, bottles… the list is endless.
When I got home from rehab, I had a new baby that I needed to bond with and a 3-year-old that I needed to reassure after so much time away. I also was desperate to ease the burden my amazing husband had been carrying while I was sick. This has been my focus for the past (almost) five months and this will be the focus of my blog for a while.
But don’t worry – a woman’s still gotta eat! I’ll be posting recipes and sharing cooking tips but I might also be posting advice for putting on a bra, picking up a baby and doing your hair one-handed. Exciting, I know. But this is my life now, as shitty as it is. Oh, I might be bitching as well. After all, my personality hasn’t changed!